Since Valentines Day is rapidly approaching, I wanted to share my favorite quick dessert with you all. These lava cakes with homemade whipped cream take 15 minutes total. By total, I mean prep, cook time, and preparing the whipped cream in 15 minutes. The ingredients used in this recipe are most likely things you already have in your pantry. My favorite thing about this dessert is the fact that the cakes are served warm. When was the last time you ate warm cake? It’s probably been awhile. There’s no frosting, so you won’t have to worry about cooling it completely. In fact, it tastes better when the sweet whipped cream melts down the sides. This is the perfect treat to make for someone you love on Valentine’s day. It doesn’t have to be a significant other. Make this for your best friend, your mom, your roommate, or your sister. Show the most important person in your life, whomever that may be, how special they are
Let’s get to it!
- 3/4 c Chocolate Chips
- 2 T Butter
- 2 Eggs
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 T Granulated Sugar
- 2 T, 1/2 t Flour
- 1/2 Vanilla
- Zest of 1 Orange
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 2 ramekins with butter and then coat with sugar.
- Melt butter, orange zest, sugar, vanilla, and chocolate in a saucepan over low heat. Once melted, turn off the heat and let cool for a minute.
- Whisk together eggs and salt very well. Add it to the chocolate mixture slowly to avoid scrambling the eggs.
- Add flour to the chocolate and whisk until there are no lumps.
- Pour into ramekins until almost full. Bake for 11-12 minutes. When the cakes are baking, prepare whipped cream following the recipe listed below.
- Remove from oven and let cool for a minute. Then, gently separate the cake from the edges of the ramekin with a butter knife. Once the cakes are loosened, flip over onto plates.
Whipped cream, will you be my Valentine?
- 1/2 c Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/2 t Vanilla Extract
- 1 T Confectioners Sugar
- The key to perfect whipped cream is making sure that everything is very cold. You’ll want to put a mixing bowl and whisk attachment in the freezer when you begin making the cakes.
- Once the bowl and whisk are sufficiently icy, add all ingredients to the bowl and whisk rapidly until stiff peaks form.