There’s something about fall mornings that make it so hard to get out of bed. The crisp air and colorful trees make me want to stay under the blankets all day with the windows open. Sometimes, the only thing that can get me out of bed is the promise of a good breakfast. If I don’t have time to make eggs and toast, I’ll pull one of these gorgeous muffins out of the freezer and pop it in the microwave. The tender apples, crunchy walnuts, and chewy raisins combine with whole wheat flour and oats to give me the burst of energy I need to get my day going. I’m a big fan of starting my day off with something healthy in my belly. It sets the precedent for good choices to follow. My 9 year old sister told me that she wants to eat these muffins everyday so I can assure you that your kids will love these delicious fall-y, apple-y muffins as much as my sister.
Apple & Oat Muffins
Yields 16 Muffins
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 large green apple, chopped
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 3/4 cup soy milk
- 1 egg, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine whole wheat flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Add the chopped apple, raisins, and walnuts to the dry ingredients and coat with the flour and oats. This will ensure that the apples will stay suspended in the muffin instead of sinking to the bottom.
2. Add the beaten egg, milk, and apple sauce to the dry ingredients. Mix until everything is moistened. Do not overmix!
3. Pour 1/4 cup portions into greased or paper lined cups. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
4. Muffins will keep in the refrigerator for a week or in the freezer for 6 months.